How to Give Your Home A Cozy Upgrade for Fall
When the weather turns crisp and cool, is there anything better than curling up with a warm throw, your favorite hot drink, and a great book? We’re all about fall right now and are feeling crazy inspired to transform our homes into cozy getaways. So, if you’re craving some soft flannel, pumpkin-scented candles, and moody color hues, read on for inspiration on how to get your home prepped for the season.
As gorgeous as a sleek low-profile chair can be, there’s just something so inviting about an oversized chair. This time of year, we can’t think of anything better. To make this work in your space, make sure you’re opting for a chair that fits the scale of your room (you don’t want it to be out of proportion with the rest of your furniture). Once you’ve got the right size, make sure you’re connecting it visually with everything else – a throw pillow or blanket draped over the arm can help to make your chair feel curated and cohesive.
- This tufted white oversized chair adds the perfect touch of class to this farmhouse-style home / Source
- A deep burgundy velvet chaise flanks this home’s fireplace, providing a cozy nook for relaxing / Source
- Bright and light-filled, this sunroom is the ultimate cozy getaway with two oversized chairs and plenty of blankets and pillows to go around / Source
- This classic gray oversized chair is the perfect reading corner in this living room / Source
Throw Blankets & Pillows
Speaking of throw pillows and blankets, to make your space feel as cozy as possible, you can never get enough of these. They’re the quickest and easiest way to change the feeling of a room, and they provide the perfect décor shift for new seasons (without having to completely overhaul the rest of the space). Layer a variety of textures and prints together to give your sofa a collected and eclectic vibe or roll up a few throws together in a basket for guests to grab if it gets chilly.
- A knit yellow throw pairs perfectly with navy and white/gray pillows to add coziness to this living room / Source
- Cream and white throws are stored in a wire basket for easy guest access and a beautiful décor display / Source
- This reading nook layers a wide variety of throw pillows in different patterns and colors for a cozy and curated look / Source
- Plaid, flannel, and fur throws are perfect additions for a fall-inspired home / Source
When those temps drop, having a fireplace is a total necessity. Not only does it add warmth, but it also provides a dreamy ambient glow to the space that we absolutely love. Whether you’ve got a gas stove or a traditional wood-burning fireplace, make this area the focal point of the room by adding plenty of seating options – both on the floor and via furniture.
- This living room fireplace is made even more cozy thanks to a soft cream rug and floor cushion for additional lounge seating / Source
- Filled with fall-inspired greens, this snug library is the perfect spot to warm up on a cool day / Source
- Crisp white and black take center stage in this herringbone-tiled contemporary fireplace wall / Source
- The perfect spot to enjoy a glass of wine, this fireplace wall is a total cozy getaway, complete with display shelves and two comfortable side chairs / Source
Fall is definitely the time to start adding in ultra-soft and thick fabrics to your home. Some of our favorites include flannel, velvet, fur, and fleece, and you can incorporate these into your décor (think throw pillows and blankets) or opt to use them as fabric for your furniture (think deep jewel-toned velvet sofas or armchairs).
- This tufted sofa is upholstered in a deep blue velvet, adding warmth and timeless style to the space / Source
- A hallway bench gets new seasonal life with throw pillows in plaid and shag, and a white sheepskin throw blanket / Source
- This bedroom incorporates the copper hues of fall while adding texture with a velvet upholstered bench, a fur throw pillow, and cozy blankets / Source
- A sheepskin armchair is the perfect cozy spot next to this gorgeous modern-style fireplace / Source
Don’t forget to add a rug or two to your space to make it feel extra cozy. From high pile and shag options to more traditional oriental rug patterns, there are endless options to add this décor touch to your home. You can even try layering rugs to add visual contrast and interest – just make sure you’re sticking to a similar color scheme and that your rugs complement one another, and you’ll be all set.
- A taupe high pile rug makes this living room a gorgeous and cozy space for fall / Source
- This oriental-style rug is the perfect jewel-tone complement to the room’s unique navy fireplace / Source
- A white and black tassel rug gives this space extra warmth and visual interest / Source
- A charcoal fur rug in this living room serves as a cozy lounge spot in front of the roaring fireplace / Source
Whether the switch to autumn has you craving hot cider or wanting to do nothing but lounge and watch a marathon of your favorite show, it’s a top-notch season, no doubt. So, this year, be sure to incorporate these cozy elements to make your space feel welcoming. You’ll be relaxing by that fireplace in no time. Cheers!